Measuring Your Existing Screens
On our site, the measurements of screens are listed by WIDTH first and then HEIGHT, and are measured to the closest 1/16th of an inch.
Let's get started.
- First, you will need to determine which side is the WIDTH and which side is the HEIGHT. Typically the WIDTH side of the screen is the side that has the hardware attached (except in the case of Horizontal Sliding windows where the hardware is on the sides).
- Next, you want to place the tape measure against the side edge of the screen and draw it tightly across the screen to the other edge. This will give you the WIDTH measurement.
- Then, you will want to place the tape measure against the bottom edge of the screen and draw it tightly up the screen to the top edge. This will give you the HEIGHT measurement.
A couple of special notes:
- Make note of any hardware (Springs, Clips, etc.) on the old screen and where it is located. Go to What are the different type of hardware? for more information.
- Make sure to measure the frame size. This will effect the FIT of the screen. For insect screens, typically the frame size is 5/16" x 3/4"; for solar screens typically the frame size is 5/16" x 1". See the picture below for how the measurements are taken.