Types of Solar Screen Frame
Solar Screens are made using either roll-formed or extruded aluminum frame.
- Roll-forming is a continuous bending operation in which a long strip of sheet metal (in this case Aluminum) is passed through sets of rolls mounted on consecutive stands, each set performing only an incremental part of the bend, until the desired cross-section profile is obtained.
- Extruded frame is created by pressing material (in this case Aluminum) through a die to create a shaped-solid finished product.
Affordable Screen Company makes all our solar screen products with Roll-Formed Aluminum Frame.
Solar Screen Frame Properties
You'll want to keep in mind the following properties for Aluminum Frame when ordering solar screens:
- The size of the frame. This is the dimension of the frame itself. For Solar Screens we use a 5/16" x 1" frame, unless otherwise specified or requested. See an example below.
- The gauge of the frame. This is the thickness of the aluminum metal that is roll-formed. For our 5/16" x 1" Solar Screen Frame we use a 0.024 gauge material.
- The style of the frame. The style of frame can vary from Traditional to Inverted Knife Edge. With solar screens, though, in 5/16" x 1" frame we only offer the traditional style of frame as shown above.
- The color of the frame. We offer Silver, White, Tan, Champagne, and Bronze frame color for solar screens, and are generally intended to match the color of the existing window casement or trim.
Window Screen Resource Center
The resources below provide information and articles meant to educate and answer any questions you may have related to window screens.